Julie R. F. Gerchik is a highly sought-after complex commercial litigation partner at Glaser Weil. Julie represents an enviable roster of domestic and international clients, including investment firms, entertainment and media companies, and financial services entities as well as high-net-worth individuals. She also handles all aspects of investigations. Julie has considerable experience across various industries in all aspects of motion practice, discovery, mediation, and both trial and arbitration work in federal and state court.
Julie brings the exacting skill required to both effectively navigate high-profile public disputes with significant PR implications and handle highly confidential personal matters. Some of her greatest client accomplishments are those that successfully avoided headlines.
Julie frequently handles matters relating to:
- Entertainment litigation
- Complex business disputes, including partnership disputes
- Investigations related to:
- Employment, including sexual harassment and discrimination
- Trade secrets
- Crisis management
In business disputes, Julie represents financial institutions, private equity firms, hedge funds and financial advisory firms. Her clients have included The Gores Group, JPMorgan Chase, Deutsche Bank, Societe Generale, Genesis Bank, The Carlyle Group and the Yucaipa Companies.
In entertainment, Julie represents companies, studios, executives, producers, writers, directors, actors, influencers and other high-profile individuals – particularly when confidentiality is paramount. Julie also represents technology clients, including emerging companies in social media and digital advertising.
Julie is chair of recruiting for the Litigation Department, chair of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, and co-chair of the Pro Bono Committee. Throughout her career, she has been involved in varied pro bono matters, including supervising the Holocaust reparations project, drafting the Bill of Rights for a newly created government and leading the representation of a group of low-income individuals in a slumlord action. She also handles varied aspects of Firm and Litigation Department management, including recruiting, associate issues and mentoring.
Prior to joining Glaser Weil, Julie practiced with an Am Law 10 firm in Los Angeles for more than decade. Julie is also a dual citizen of both the United States and Great Britain, and she is admitted to both the California and New York bars.
Julie is a member of the Executive Committee of the Litigation Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, a member of the Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and a member of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association. She is a former member of the board of governors of the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, past co-chair of the Executive Committee of the Bet Tzedek New Leadership Council and a former member of the Los Angeles County Bar Access to Justice Committee.
Julie’s notable experience includes her representation of:
- One of the leading female executives in Hollywood in connection with her termination as president of a leading studio.
- Private equity firm The Gores Group in a lawsuit against a spinoff fund and its founders regarding Gores’ participation.
- Individuals closely connected to a major fashion dynasty in an action alleging the defendants’ negligence and failure to stop the sexual assault of a minor; she successfully obtained a motion to quash following a writ petition and oral argument.
- J. Golsen, the co-founder and CEO of digital marketing agency Part Four, in a contentious employment matter and a partnership dispute.
- Lindsey Boylan, the first woman to come forward publicly with allegations (made on social media) against former New York governor Andrew Cuomo, in all aspects of the matter – legal and related to the press.
- A Hollywood fitness trainer to stars and public personality regarding a dispute in connection with his separation from the television studio.
- The CEO of a financial institution in the successful handling and resolution of a highly sensitive investigation finding unsubstantiated allegations of harassment.
- One of the country’s preeminent private equity firms in connection with allegations of sexual harassment involving the CEO and other related claims. The matter was resolved successfully on confidential terms.
- Looking Within: Gender & Race in the JudiciaryRead More
- Pocket MBA 2020: Finance for Lawyers and Other Professionals Featuring Glaser Weil Partner Julie Gerchik
- Glaser and Gerchik Speak at Firm's Annual Litigation Symposium: To Arbitrate or Not to Arbitrate, That is the Question
- Glaser Weil Attorneys Pen ‘Law360’ Article on the Need for Banks to Self-Report Following DOJ Update
- Glaser Weil Partner Julie Gerchik Co-authored the Column, "We the People: 100 Years of Perspective on the 19th Amendment,"
- The American Lawyer Interviewed Partner Julie Gerchik on Juggling Family and Client Expectations During the Holidays
Awards and Recognition
Awards and Recognition
“Legal Impact Report,” Variety, 2023
“Future Star” (US-National, California), Benchmark Litigation, 2022
"500 Leading Litigators in America," Lawdragon, 2022, 2024
“Women of Influence,” Los Angeles Business Journal, April 2022
“Going Beyond Legal,” Berkeley Law Executive Education: General Counsel Institute, June 2021
“Leaders in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion,” L.A. Times B2B Publishing, December 2021
“Leaders of Influence: Top Litigators & Trial Lawyers,” Los Angeles Business Journal, July 2021
“Women’s Leadership Awards,” Nominee, Los Angeles Business Journal, June 2021
“Diversity & Inclusion Awards,” Executive of the Year Nominee, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2021
“Thriving in their 40’s,” Los Angeles Business Journal, 2020
“Women’s Leadership Awards,” Rising Star Nominee, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2020
“Top Litigator,” Los Angeles Business Journal, 2019
- Firm News |
- Firm News |
- Firm News |Julie Gerchik and Craig Marcus Recognized Among LABJ’s 2023 Leaders of Influence: Litigators & Trial Attorneys
- Firm News |Glaser Weil’s Patricia L. Glaser, Kerry Garvis Wright, Andrew Baum and Julie Gerchik Honored in Variety’s 2023 “Legal Impact Report”
- Firm News |
- Firm News |
- Firm News |Glaser Weil’s Julie R. F. Gerchik Selected as a “Women’s Leadership” 2022 Nominee by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Firm News |Glaser Weil’s Julie R. F. Gerchik Recognized Among “Women of Influence” By the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Firm News |Glaser Weil’s Julie R. F. Gerchik Recognized as a “Leader in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion” by the L.A. Times B2B Publishing
- Firm News |Glaser Weil’s Julie R. F. Gerchik and Garland A. Kelley Named “Leaders of Influence: Top Litigators & Trial Lawyers” by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Firm News |Glaser Weil’s Julie Gerchik and Elisa Paster Recognized as “Women’s Leadership Award” Nominees by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Firm News |Julie R. F. Gerchik Announced as Nominee for the Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Diversity & Inclusion Awards”
- Firm News |Glaser Weil’s Julie Gerchik and Elisa Paster Honored on the Los Angeles Business Journal’s “Thriving in their 40’s” List
- Firm News |Julie Gerchik Recognized as one of the “Top Litigators & Trial Lawyers in Los Angeles” by the Los Angeles Business Journal
Leadership and Community
Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section
Member, Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Co-Chair, Diversity Equity & Inclusion for the Executive Committee of the Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Member, Board of Governors and former co-chair of Business Development, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
Member, Bet Tzedek New Leadership Council
Co-Chair, Bet Tzedek New Leadership Council, 2013-2016
Member, Board of Directors, Bet Tzedek, 2013-2016
Former member, LACBA-WLALA Joint Task Force on the Retention and Promotion of Women Lawyers
New York University School of Law, LLM, Review of Law and Social Change
Oxford University, B.A., Law
London School of Economics and Political Science, M.Sc.
University of California, Berkeley, B.A., magna cum laude
- New York