Matthew Jann, a partner and co-chair of Glaser Weil’s Corporate Department, maintains a broad corporate transactional practice with a focus on the purchase and sale of businesses and securities. Matt is experienced in all aspects of M&A, from due diligence to the intense negotiation and documentation of some of the industry’s most complex agreements to the review and preparation of fairness opinions and post-closing dispute resolution.
He is sought after to serve as counsel on transactions for many well‐known clients in their most significant and disruptive transactions. While his practice is industry agnostic, he has particularly deep experience representing clients in the successful purchase and sale of businesses in medtech, software, adtech, consumer goods, manufacturing, and oil and gas services. The typical value of Matt’s deals ranges from $100 million to $1.5 billion.
Matt is particularly sought after for:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Equity investments
- Corporate governance
In addition to his mergers and acquisitions practice, Matt regularly acts as outside corporate counsel, assisting clients with the negotiation and documentation of key business agreements and governance matters, including agreements detailing partner and shareholder rights, loans and security interests, employment, non-competition, confidentiality, and commercial terms and conditions. He is also co-chair of the Firm’s Pro Bono committee and a Meritas Emerging Leader Program representative.
An emerging thought leader, Matt co-authored the 2022 and 2023 editions of The Rutter Group’s California Practice Guide: Corporations and California Practice Guide: Pass-Through Entities.
Matt received his law degree, magna cum laude, from Marquette University Law School and his bachelor’s degree, cum laude, from California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo.
During law school, Matt served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Diane S. Sykes of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and to the Honorable Chief Judge Charles N. Clevert, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Matt also held several positions within the law school, including research assistant to Dean Joseph D. Kearney, articles editor for the Marquette Law Review, and leader in the law school’s Academic Success Program, where he facilitated 1L students’ review of civil procedure and torts.
Matt is a proud recipient of the Eagle Scout Award from the Boy Scouts of America.
Matt’s recent notable experience includes his representation of:
- Wyatt Technology, a pioneer in innovative light scattering and field-flow fractionation instruments, software, accessories and services, in its $1.36 billion acquisition by Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT), a global leader in analytical instruments and software.
- A pair of California-based recycling and diversion companies that specialize in the collection and processing of waste in their sale to a private equity firm, exceeding $1 billion.
- An industrial software company in its $1 billion sale to a publicly traded Swedish engineering company.
- A distillery company in the sale of its premium gin brand.
- Palisade Group, LLC, in drafting and negotiating a partnership agreement related to the $47.5 million acquisition of two Class A office buildings in Seattle, Washington.
Additional significant experience includes his representation of:
- An energy services company in the acquisition of numerous construction companies and a to-be-built photovoltaic project covering several sites in Southern California.
- An investor in the purchase of a significant stake in an e-commerce company, including the negotiation and documentation of the purchase agreement and investors’ rights agreements.
- A venture capital firm regarding its preparation of fairness opinions in connection with a corporate reorganization and a tender offer made by the management team of a public company.
- A multi-state ophthalmology and laser eye surgery practice in the acquisition of a new loan facility, including the preparation of ancillary loan documents and the cleanup of corporate books and records for 17 separate professional corporations and limited liability companies.
Awards and Recognition
Awards and Recognition
“Leaders of Influence: 2022 Thriving in Their 40s,” Los Angeles Business Journal
Southern California Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2016, 2021
Eagle Scout Award, Boy Scouts of America
Leadership and Community
Member, Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)
Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Mergers & Acquisitions Committee
Member, Membership Committee, The Pacific Club
Pro bono volunteer, Bet Tzedek
Member, Alpha Sigma Nu
Member, Marquette University Law School’s Woolsack Society
Marquette University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, B.A., Political Science, cum laude