Lara Petersen is an associate in the firm’s Intellectual Property Department, with extensive experience handling patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret matters. In particular, she represents clients in all intellectual property litigation matters before state and federal courts and the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Through her management of cases at all stages of prelitigation and litigation, she consistently strives to provide the most advantageous and efficient results for her clients.
Lara has significant experience in:
- Intellectual property litigation
- Trade secret
- Trademark prosecution, counseling and licensing
- Intellectual property due diligence
Lara earned her Juris Doctor from Chapman University’s Dale E. Fowler School of Law, where she served as a student ambassador, associate editor of the Nexus Journal of Law and Policy and president of the Intellectual Property Law Society. She received a Bachelor of Science degree, cum laude, in neuroscience and cognitive science and psychology and another Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences, cum laude, in physiology, from the University of Arizona. As testimony to her academic achievement in law school, Lara is a six-time recipient of the CALI Excellence for the Future Award® for courses including Pre-Trial Intellectual Property Litigation, Patent Law & Practice and Information Privacy Law.
Prior to joining Glaser Weil, Lara practiced at a boutique intellectual property law firm, where she gained broad litigation experience and prosecuted hundreds of trademark applications and dozens of patent applications. This background provides Lara with keen insight into how to best protect and enforce her clients’ intellectual property rights.
Lara’s recent notable experience includes her representation of:
- Pop-A-Shot Enterprise, LLC, in obtaining a preliminary injunction in a trademark infringement action against a sporting equipment manufacturer and negotiating a settlement that resolved a dispute over sales of infringing products containing the Pop-A-Shot name.
- A wellness brand in a Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceeding brought against it by a pharmaceutical company. Experience included successfully defending the company, thereby permitting some of the client’s trademark applications to proceed to registration.
- StemExpress, a life sciences company, in litigation against a former sales employee and her new employer, who were accused of committing trade secret misappropriation.
- The owner of multiple orthopedic-related patents in litigation against a major medical device company that has been accused of infringing the owner’s patents.
- A production company that created and produced a groundbreaking science fiction thriller, in a breach of contract dispute and arbitration with a major streaming service.
- A stand-up comedian, writer, actor and creator/host of a popular podcast in an intellectual property ownership dispute with a cohost following their business divorce.
Chapman University School of Law, J.D., 2017
University of Arizona, B.S., Neuroscience & Cognitive Science, Psychology, with honors; B.S.H.S., Physiology; cum laude, 2014