Glaser Weil’s environment and energy team has deep experience representing a diverse clientele, including developers, contractors, investors, financiers, manufacturers, construction professionals, oil companies, regulated utilities, cleantech companies and other alternative energy providers, and has successfully navigated a broad spectrum of matters. From overseeing the environmental and energy facets of both clean and traditional energy projects to managing environmental and infrastructure initiatives, we bring a proven track record and a commitment to excellence. We combine responsiveness, market insight and exceptional legal acumen to provide best-in-class service to our clients.
Environmental and Energy Litigation
Our environmental and energy litigation team stands out by having a robust background in high-stakes litigation, both within courtrooms and at the negotiating table. Our seasoned lawyers are adept at providing comprehensive and cost-effective counsel to safeguard clients’ assets and reputations. With a noteworthy track record in prosecuting and defending numerous actions in state and federal courts, we have played a pivotal role in shaping key legal precedents under prominent statutes such as CERCLA, RCRA and the Clean Air Act.
We champion our clients’ interests by leveraging a creative, aggressive yet efficient, and practical approach. While we possess the capability to take a case to trial when necessary, our clients trust our proven, sound judgment. We recognize when negotiation can secure the optimal outcome, contributing to the overall success and resolution of high-profile cases. Our commitment lies in delivering unparalleled advocacy that addresses the immediate legal challenges and also aligns with the long-term objectives of our clients.
What We Do
Our team handles litigation and arbitration before state and federal regulatory bodies and courts, including:
- Air quality (including enforcement defense and permitting)
- Asbestos/mold/lead compliance, litigation and counseling
- CERCLA/Superfund and groundwater cleanup matters
- Drinking water contamination claims
- Proposition 65 defense and counseling
- Toxic tort defense
- Solar power construction and energy credit issues
Environmental and Energy Transactional
At the forefront of environmental and energy transactions, our accomplished team of lawyers at Glaser Weil offers strategic counsel to a diverse clientele comprising buyers, sellers, lenders and investors. We specialize in navigating the complexities surrounding the transfer of properties and corporate interests, demonstrating particular expertise in innovative and specialized projects such as the development of alternative energy initiatives.
Our dedicated team plays a crucial role in facilitating seamless transactions for our clients. We go beyond the conventional by meticulously conducting due diligence, crafting precise agreements and skillfully negotiating matters. Whether it involves the transfer of real properties or corporate interests, we are committed to providing dynamic solutions that align with our clients’ unique goals. Our proactive approach ensures that each transaction is not only legally sound but also strategically advantageous, contributing to the success of projects in the dynamic landscape of environmental and energy endeavors.
What We Do
- Clean energy
- Environmental compliance, licensing and due diligence
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Project finance and development
- A major California real estate developer in a dispute with a major oil company over an oil field cleanup, which successfully settled after years of negotiation prior to the filing of any lawsuit.
- Environmental Restoration, LLC, an environmental remediation contractor, in dismissing 250 of the 265 total plaintiff claims (totaling over $1 billion) and settling the remainder in high-profile (covered by The New York Times) multidistrict litigation lasting more than six years in which over 200 depositions were taken and more than 25 experts were designated concerning a three-million-gallon release of acid mine drainage near Silverton, Colorado, referred to generally as the Gold King Mine spill.
- A super-grid company as lead counsel in a large-scale alternative energy telecommunications, infrastructure and manufacturing project to build the largest super grid in the world. The super grid will be capable of handling the rising demand for renewable energy, offering high-voltage power, ultra-high-speed internet, sustainable clean water, wastewater, transportation and delivery services.
- Scepter, Inc., a company designing and launching a satellite constellation for measurement of greenhouse gases and criteria air pollutants. Work includes protecting, exploiting and enforcing the company’s intellectual property, in addition to drafting and negotiating deals and capital raises to support its growth.
- A major California recycling company in managing environmental due diligence for the successful sale of the company.