Glaser Weil’s Banking and Financial Services practice represents banks, financial services companies and nonfinancial consumer-facing companies in financial litigation, enforcement, regulatory, compliance and transactional matters. Members of our team have long counseled and advised clients across the United States and internationally with strategic solutions to navigate the complexities of state and federal banking, consumer lending, and financial privacy laws and regulations. As a result of the group’s combined decades of experience and track record of success, our attorneys have earned the trust of our institutional clients, who call on us to serve as advocate and trusted advisor in bet-the-company matters in proceedings before both the courts and regulators.
We are also thought leaders who teach the law to others and author articles, chapters and treatises in our field of expertise, in publications by the Practising Law Institute and in industry press such as American Banker and Law360. Members of the team edit and co-author the leading annual desk reference in consumer finance, the Consumer Financial Services Answer Book.
Who We Represent:
- Banks, savings associations, industrial loan companies and credit unions
- Credit and debit card issuers
- Payment processors
- Nonbank mortgage lenders and servicers, including master servicers and specialty servicers
What We Do
- Anti-money laundering (AML) and Bank Secrecy Act compliance
- Commercial lending
- Consumer banking
- Customer disclosures
- Internal Investigations
- Consumer financial services
- Consumer class action defense
- Consumer disclosures
- Consumer financial privacy
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- Crisis management
- Financial services litigation and enforcement
- B2B disputes
- Civil and criminal enforcement proceedings
- Class action defense
- Complex commercial litigation
- Defense of enforcement actions
- Internal corporate investigations
- Financial services transactions
- Commercial loan originations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Mezzanine and asset-based financing
- Private placements
- Project finance
- Public offerings
- Restructuring and loan workouts
- Regulatory and compliance
- Compliance management systems (CMS)
- Draft and review of terms and conditions, user agreements, privacy disclosures
- Government regulatory matters
- Major consumer-facing companies with respect to consumer financial and consumer privacy compliance
- Casinos and other gaming-related companies
- Auto finance companies
- Fintech companies, lead generators and alternative capital providers
- Broker-dealers and investment advisors
Our Restructuring and Loan Workouts team represents lenders, borrowers, guarantors, developers, investors and servicers, providing comprehensive representation in all aspects of loan workouts, extensions, modifications, forbearances, refinancings, deed-in-lieu transactions, foreclosures, recapitalizations and reorganizations.
- Partner and Chair of the Banking and Financial Services Practice
- Partner and Chair of the Litigation Department
- Partner, Chair of the Intellectual Property Department, and Co-chair of the Investigations, Compliance and Strategic Response Practice
- Partner and Co-chair of the Corporate Department
- Partner and Chair of the Real Estate Department
- Partner and Chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice
Glaser Weil's representative experience includes our representation of:
- One of the world’s leading banks in connection with a multibillion-dollar fraud against the California Employment Development Department.
- A leading private equity firm in a lawsuit against a spinoff fund and its founders regarding the company’s participation.
- A leading tax credit firm in a significant affordable housing lawsuit relating to a $400 million portfolio.
- A leading residential investment lender in a breach-of-contract and fraud dispute that resulted in a complete summary judgment victory and a $900,000 attorneys’ fee award in the client’s favor.
- Multiple lenders as nationwide litigation defense counsel, including with respect to putative class actions.
- The operator of over 200 check-cashing locations across the U.S. in consumer financial litigation related to the terms and fees charged to consumers for its consumer check-cashing services.
- The owner of a leading payments software program in a putative class action alleging violation of the California Unfair Competition Law.
- A California-based community bank in an internal investigation of alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information.
- One of the largest residential mortgage lenders in both antitrust and trade secrets litigation concerning competing residential mortgage servicing platforms with damages claimed of $340 million.
- A market-leading business development company and one of the largest direct lenders in the U.S. in related accounting malpractice cases against a national accounting firm that settled in a pre-suit mediation, and an appraisal malpractice action that settled in mediation a few months before trial.
- A senior executive of a well-known financial institution in the successful handling and resolution of a highly sensitive investigation finding unsubstantiated allegations of harassment.
- One of the country’s preeminent private equity firms in connection with allegations of sexual harassment involving the CEO and other related claims. The matter was resolved successfully on confidential terms.
- One of the nation’s largest debit card issuers in:
- Enforcement proceedings brought by the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Multi-venue trade secrets litigation against a rideshare app. Successfully settled the cases on terms highly favorable to our client.
- Multiple class action lawsuits, including one claiming securities fraud.
- Alliant Capital
- Green Dot Corporation
- Live Nation
- The Gores Group
Awards and Recognition
- Award |
- Firm News |
- Firm News |
- Firm News |