Garland A. Kelley
Partner and Co-Chair of the Crisis Management & Response Department
10250 Constellation Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90067
- Securities Litigation
- General Commercial Litigation & Contract Disputes
- Class Action Litigation
- Business Litigation
Crisis Management & Response
Columbia Law School, J.D.
Claremont Graduate University, M.A.
Rice University, B.A.
State Bar Admissions
As a partner in Glaser Weil’s litigation department and crisis management & response department
co-chair, Mr. Kelley’s practice primarily involves securities litigation and complex business litigation. Typical matters include class actions, derivative litigation, multi-jurisdictional matters, transnational litigation, corporate investigations, or matters where there are opportunities to shape the law in meaningful ways.
- Mr. Kelley began his legal practice at Cravath, Swaine & Moore in New York, from 1999 through 2002. He was admitted to the New York bar in 2000, and to the California bar in 2003. In California, Mr. Kelley was an associate at Irell & Manella prior to joining Glaser Weil.
- Mr. Kelley earned his law degree from Columbia Law School, his master’s degree from Claremont Graduate University, and his bachelor’s degree from Rice University.
- Prior to practicing law, Mr. Kelley was a management consultant with Accenture for 8 years, working primarily on matters in Malaysia, Indonesia and Argentina.
Glaser Weil is California’s powerhouse law firm for critical matters – bet-the-company litigation, complex business disputes, strategic corporate needs, high-profile or highly-publicized matters – where shaping the law and reaching the right result matters. Among other recognition:
- Benchmark Litigation ranked Glaser Weil’s Litigation Department as “highly recommended,” one of only a few law firms in California at this elite level
- Benchmark also recognized Mr. Kelley as a “California Star” for excellence in litigation and client service
- U.S. News also ranked Glaser Weil on its “2019 Best Law Firms” list
Jury and bench trials to verdict in intellectual property, complex commercial, securities and statutory matters.
Defense of numerous clients in securities-related litigation, including complex class action and derivative lawsuits.
Investigation or defense of "options backdating" issues involving public companies or senior executives, including civil and criminal matters.
Defense of numerous complex, multi-jurisdictional matters resisting preliminary injunctions / TRO's in connection with mergers, acquisitions or going-private transactions.
Defense of multiple state court lawsuits regarding potential application of California statute regulating "investigative" reports, resulting in published appellate court decision.
Defense of multi-jurisdictional securities matters arising out of large-scale municipal bond defaults, resulting in two published appellate court decisions (state and federal).
Defense or prosecution of complex statutory, common law and transnational matters.
Represented corporation in Section 16(b) short-swing profits matter (see more).
Honors & Awards
Benchmark Litigation, Litigation Star, 2017-2019
Southern California Super Lawyer