Giving to the Community At-Large: Taking the Time to Participate
Terry D. Avchen, the head of the Environmental and Energy Practice, co-founded and chairs Environmental Research Advocates, a nonprofit foundation dedicated to funding scientific research in environmental and alternative energy.
Glaser Weil attorneys support or serve on many boards, including:
- The Saban Free Clinic
- The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles
- The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- City of Hope
- St. John’s Health Center Foundation
- The Westside Food Bank
- Western Justice Center
- American Friends of the Hebrew University
- P.A.T.H. Homeless Shelter
- Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History
- The Brent Shapiro Foundation for Drug Awareness
The Firm’s attorneys and staff participate in a number of activities that directly benefit the residents of Southern California. Recently, for example, Glaser Weil attorneys and staff took part in Big Sunday by partnering with Kids Enjoy Exercise Now (KEEN) Los Angeles to play one-on-one with children and young adults with developmental and physical disabilities. Other organizations and events we participate in include:
- Food from the Bar
- Justice Jog
- Daffodil Days Campaign
- American Red Cross Blood Drives
- AIDS Walk
- Revlon Run/Walk for Women
- Big Sunday
- Foothill Family Services
Giving to the Legal World: Sharing our Expertise
Many Glaser Weil attorneys are dedicated to ensuring that our legal system continues to thrive in the hands of the next generation of legal professionals. These attorneys give substantial time to law schools in Los Angeles and around the nation as educators, financial supporters and alumni board members. For example:
- Glaser Weil Entertainment Partner Barbara M. Rubin serves as the executive director and as an assistant professor in Loyola Law School’s Entertainment Law Practicum.
- Adrian Pruetz, head of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Department, is a founder of the University of Southern California Gould School of Law’s IP Institute.
The Firm’s lawyers remain active in both the local and national legal communities by joining various professional organizations. Our attorneys serve as officers, and are often asked to speak on legal and industry-related panels as experts in their fields. Our attorneys are members of:
- The Beverly Hills Bar Association
- The Los Angeles County Bar Association
- The Century City Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- The International Association of Trial Lawyers
- The National Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Various other groups specifically affiliated with their practice areas
Distinguished Recognition for Noteworthy Contributions
Glaser Weil attorneys are often recognized for their dedication to education and other causes and communities they support. For example:
- In March 2013, one of our founders, Patricia Glaser, received the National Scopus Award, the highest honor bestowed by the American Friends of Hebrew University. Ms. Glaser is vice chair of the Western Region of American Friends of Hebrew University and serves on the Board of Trustees for the National Judicial College, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s international board of governors and the UCLA Israel Studies Program Advisory Board.
- Partner Roger Howard, who chairs the Firm’s Corporate Department and co-chairs its Real Estate Department, was honored with a Humanitarian Award by the Tower Cancer Research Foundation for his fundraising and organizing work. Tower Cancer Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to clinical research, patient support and community education. TCRF conducts clinical trials and also funds scientific laboratory research for physicians providing cutting edge bench-to-bedside care that will ultimately lead to further advances in cancer treatment.